Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Safeway (Von's) Mistakenly Gives Pregnant Woman Abortion Pill?!?!

Make sure you check your prescription before you take it.  This woman in Colorado... excuse me, this pregnant woman in Colorado was at Safeway and got her antibiotic prescription filled at their pharmacy.  One of the Safeway pharmacy clerks gave her the prescription to somebody with the same last name.  They gave her Methotrexate.  This is a drug used for the treatment of cancer.  Unfortunately, Methotrexate can also be used to  medically terminate a pregnancy.  


The woman is 6 months pregnant with her first baby.  She took this medication under the assumption it was for her.  Whoa....  I smell a lawsuit.  She started to feel nauseous.  


"I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn't my name," she said. "My doctor immediately told me to try and make myself vomit to see if I could get the medicine to come back up." 


They gave her charcoal at the hospital to hopefull absorb the Methotrexate.  


Safeway's statement on the matter:
When the pharmacist became aware of what happened, he worked with the patient and with her physicians to minimize any possible health consequences to the patient and her unborn child. We have extended our sincere apologies to the customer, and offered to pay any medical expenses incurred as a result of a prescription error. We are also very concerned about how this happened and we are conducting a full and complete investigation. Safeway has pharmacy systems and processes in place to prevent this kind of occurrence.
"Sorry's not going to cut it. I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time," said the woman. "My baby could have deformities. There's a lot that goes with it."


Oh man...

Pharmacy Mistakenly Gives Pregnant Woman Abortion Pill [The Denver Channel]

No comments:

Post a Comment